Hello, everyone! Welcome to Standard Weekly!
This Sunday’s draft will be March of the Machines. In the set, Wizards of the Coast included an insert set called Multiverse Legends. The set contained 65 legendary creatures from Magic’s past that are legal to select and play with in draft. These legendary creatures are some of the most powerful cards from Magic’s past, so be on the lookout for them in your draft.
To help you better prepare for the event, here are the top cards in each rarity to look for as you draft March of the Machines and the top cards in the draft from Multiverse Legends.
Cards from March of the Machine
Blue and black cards make up most of the Top 10 cards. This leads me to believe that at least one of the colors you use should be blue or black when you draft your deck.
- Aerial Boost
- Assimilate Essence
- Deadly Derision
- Ephara’s Dispersal
- Eyes of Gitaxias
- Final Flourish
- Ichor Drinker
- Nezumi Informant
- Preening Champion
- Saiba Cryptomancer
- Temporal Cleansing
- Volcanic Spite
As we saw with commons, blue and black have some of the best cards at uncommon.
- Artistic Refusal
- Captive Weird
- Collective Nightmare
- Elvish Vatkeeper
- Furnace Reins
- Halo Forager
- Invasion of Amonkhet
- Marshal of Zhalfir
- Norn’s Inquisitor
- Skyclave Aerialist
- Boon-Bringer Valkyrie – This card can win the game on her own with her abilities.
- Breach the Multiverse – Mills each player ten cards. Then allows you to take the best creature or planeswalker from each graveyard to put you ahead in the game.
- Chrome Host Seedshark – Creates an incubator token each time you cast an instant or sorcery.
- Etali, Primal Conqueror – Powerful elder dinosaur that gives you two other cards to play when Etali enters the battlefield.
- Glissa, Herald of Predation – Has a powerful combat trigger.
- Hidetsugu and Kairi – Gives you a card draw when Hidetsugu and Kairi enter play and a powerful death trigger that can end a game.
- Invasion of Fiora – Black board wipe that you have some control over because you can decide to destroy all legendary creatures and/or to destroy all nonlegendary creatures.
- Pile On – Solid removal
- Sunfall – White board wipe with the upside of creating an incubator token.
- Zephyr Singer – Gives each card that convoked it flying.
- Archangel Elspeth – Great token soldier generator that can also give two +1/+1 counters to a creature and give that creature flying. Her ultimate allows you to put all nonland permanent cards with mana value 3 or less from your graveyard onto the battlefield.
- Borborygmos and Fblthp – A 6/5 powerhouse that draws you a card when it enters the battlefield or attacks. Then you can discard any number of cards and it deals twice that amount of damage to a target creature.
- Chandra, Hope’s Beacon – Powerful planeswalker that deals direct damage and copies your first instant or sorcery you cast on each turn.
- Invasion of Innistrad – Has flash and gives a creature -13/-13 when it comes into play. Then when you defeat the battle, you get two 2/2 black zombie creature tokens and can pay to create more.
- Invasion of New Phyrexia – When you cast Invasion of New Phyrexia, you create X 2/2 white and blue knight tokens. Then when you defeat the battle, it transforms into Teferi Akosa of Zhalfir.
- Invasion of Tarkir – does two damage to any target plus you can increase this damage by one for each dragon in your hand. When you defeat the battle, you get a 4/4 dragon that deals two damage to any target for each attacking dragon you control.
- Sheoldred – When Sheoldred enters the battlefield, each opponent sacrifices a nontoken creature or planeswalker. You can also transform Sheoldred into The True Scriptures to destroy another target creature or planeswalker and in chapter three put all creatures from graveyards into play on your side.
- Sword of Once and Future – The equipped creature gets +2/+2 and has protection from blue and black. Then whenever you deal combat damage to a player, you get to surveil 2 and you may cast an instant or sorcery with mana value 2 or less from your graveyard without paying its mana cost.
- Vorinclex – Five mana 6/6 with trample and reach that searches your library for two forests and puts them in your hand. Plus, you can transform Vorinclex into The Grand Evolution. When you transform Vorinclex you get to mill ten cards then put two creatures from among those milled onto the battlefield. Chapter 2 distributes seven +1/+1 counters among your creatures. Chapter 3 allows your creatures to fight a target creature for one mana.
- Zurgo and Ojutai – Powerful flyer. When a dragon deals combat damage, you get to look at the top three cards of your library and put one of them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library.
Here are the best legends to include in your deck if they show up in your draft.
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenbite
- Sheoldred, Whispering One
- Yorion, Sky Nomad
- Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths
- Grimgrin, Corpse-Born
- Atraxa, Praetor’s Voice
- Kroxa, Titan of Death’s Hunger
- Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
- Judith, the Scourge Diva
- Gyruda, Doom of Depths